Thursday, June 3, 2010

Language Lessons

It's June and it's still cold. I was thinking that Summer was already around the corner yet still the weather appears nippy in the evening. How odd!

Anyways, June had started very slow for me. Work was still not very imminent yet I had this teaching job to feed me and helped me pay my bills as well as send assistance to my little sister and my nephew's and niece's school tuition fees way back home.

In order to break the ice I decided to take two language lessons. In as much as I use Spanish a lot at work I decided to call this very nice middle-aged lady who charged fairly well for a one-and-a-half hour session per week. So far I progressed very quickly because I already knew how to speak broken Spanish. It only needed some gentle polishing on the common expressions and terms being used everyday.

Our first session was very interactive and I liked the way she taught me. I was late during our first session because I totally forgot about it and she also forgot to call me a day before to remind me about the planned class as what we have agreed. But so far it was very productive.

On the otherhand, I tried to learn French language because I liked the language very much when I went vacationing in France last month to visit my college best friend. I decided to go back there next year so it is appropriate for me to learn a little bit about French.

I contacted this very demure French woman, who's same age like me, who posted her very detailed ad in Craigslist.com and our first meeting was also good.

She taught me the basics of French and I was very satisfied with the way she mentored me. It was also a very productive session and I liked what I am doing right now.

Juggling all these language lessons in between my two regular jobs (that is teaching and following up students at the clinical site and doing registry nursing by filling up nursing shortages around Los Angeles hospitals) was very tough but at least had filled up my time and made me very busy and productive.

I am happy about my new ventures and I will treasure this decision in the near future. Who knows!

I started to listen to my Pimsleur CDs in the car trying to get used myself to basic conversations in Spanish. I bought this CD four years ago and now I am very glad that I had put it into use. It had helped me a lot.

I also ordered a French version of the CD and I can't wait to also put it into use. Hopefully these learning aids will help me shape up my knowledge about the two languages and once I am adept to both of them I will bring up myself to another level.

Just doing one step at a time is the right move right now and as for me I am taking it slowly in order to achieve maximum results. And so far things were getting there.

I just can't express my happiness and satisfaction about my unwarranted decisions although it had helped me more focused and determined to give it a shot.

Hopefully next time once I am fluent with both languages and ready to put it into use I might venture another language to learn upon. May it be Italian, German, Swedish, or Russian.... who knows. But I am taking it level by level for now.

I am not rushing everything and I am not being aggressive about it because I know my own limitations right now when it comes to my current situation: be it physiological, psychological, financial, social, environmental, emotional, and spiritual. God please help guide me with my unwarranted decisions.

Life is too short. So if we don't take this right now then it will be too late to do it later. Why wait if you can do it right now? That's always the mentality I am trying to avoid because I just don't want to waste my precious time dawdling and doing nothing.

They say I am a high achiever and I wanted to live to that expectation. I tend to like it myself actually. Hehehe.

Hopefully things will be in the right places and I am confident I can do it even what the odds are. If I ever fall down I will stand up and learn from it and steadfastly rise up to the occasion. Salud la vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment