Monday, May 24, 2010

Sojourn 12: France Visit In Retrospect

May 18, 2010: I woke up early in this cold Paris morning. Matleen had prepared me a very hot coffee while I was taking my shower and I was changing. I had a good night sleep in preparation for my trip back to the United States. It was my last day in France.

We left early at 7:30 am to catch up for the bus that passed by Champs Elysees for me to wait for the bus in going to Charles de Gaul Airport. Matleen will have to work that day so she just accompanied me at the bus stop at Champs Elysees. I was so thankful that she was so helpful for me until my last day in Paris.

With her situation in Paris I was so emotional for her. I wished she will find a good employer who can help her for her papers. I really admired her for her determination and tenacity to live away from her family despite of her current situation in Paris. My heart really bleeds for her and I hope she will be okay as I leave Paris. Hopefully she will and God be with her.

When the bus had left for the airport at 8:00 am Matleen had left me. I bade goodbye to her and thanked her for her unselfish support and help. I told her that I will be back next year so we got to see each other again.

It took about 45 minutes for the bus to arrived at the airport. Good thing the porter at the bus station had told me what terminal to go down. When the bus had stopped at Terminal 1 I immediately lined up for the checking in of my luggages but apparently the crew had told me that I needed to wait for another hour because I came so early.

I sat down on one of the waiting bench near the airline's checking lanes and there I met this very nice old lady from Arizona whom I talked eagerly while waiting for the time. She was very loquacious and had told me of the different churches she went in Paris and around France. I then noticed that she was on a pilgrimage while she was talking to me about her experiences. She was a very interesting lady actually.

After an hour I checked in all my luggages and had assisted Mary with hers, too. After that I haven't seen her at the security check-in line because I went to get some hot coffee that time. I saw her again when I was waiting for the boarding at the gate. I said hi to her again.

The flight from Paris to New York was so smooth and uneventful. When I get to New York airport I have to retrieve my luggages and checked-in after I passed at the immigration line. Finally I got safely at the US soil after seven hours of a smooth flight. I still have to wait for my flight to Los Angeles which will last for another four hours which is a long flight. I was already tired but I am still okay.

In retrospect my vacation to France was filled with fun and excitement that could not be taken away from me. These experiences I couldn't forget in my life.

Paris was a very interesting place for me. Full of vivacious and very active people. They dressed profesionally and elegantly. And seems unmindful of the people around them because they don't even smile or say hello. To me French people are so hung up but they are very gorgeous to look at.

My stay in Lourdes was a very marvelous pilgrimage. I get to see people who are very religious and fanatic about their Christian faith. The place was very pristine and very slow and filled with foreigners and tourists expecting for miracles that will happen to their life.

Aix-en-Provence is a very beautiful place which I've learned to love because I learned to know all it's nooks and corners by heart. The people were also gorgeous and very professional yet they are not that approachable. I tend to meet some good Filipino friends there and also met some good French people during my last day.

Avignon is a very beautiful place full and rich with history.  The place was loaded with very nice architectural buildings which are famous in different periods of history. Our trip there was been affected by the appearance of the mistral storm which caused our hair in a frustrating disarray. Our pictures can prove to that.

Marsielle was a big city which is the seat of different cultures. You can see different people there from the different parts of the world. It's a little dirty compared to Paris and it is a city near the Mediterranean sea. It has a place rich with beautiful islands and chateaus although we didn't had a chance to do island hopping because of the mistral storm.

Camargue is another town situated near the Mediterranean sea full of visiting people who wants to see the beach. Camargue is the place where I see the huge park of migrating flamingos. Camargue is a also full of gypsy people wherein it is the seat for the church where Saint Sara, the saint of the gypsies, was found.

All the churches I've visited were all very memorable to me. I've visited Notre Dame, Madeliene, Sacred Heart church in Paris, the Basilica of the Immaculate Mother in Lourdes, the Notre Dame in Aix-en-Provence, church of Saint Jean de Maltese in Aix-en-Provence, the Notre Dame de la Garde in Marsielle, and some churches I could not remember the name. There were all beautiful structures I've ever seen.

The streets of the places I've been were very quiet except the ones in Paris and Marsielle which are very busy. But the ones in Aix-en-Provence was the most memorable ones for me. I've seen it several times that's why I couldn't forget it. Avignon and Marsielle streets are also nice and good.

The only negative I can say about France in general is the presence of graffitis everywhere which makes the place a little dirty especially the ones in Paris and Marsielle. The people are not so approachable and they don't even smile at all. They're not also polite sometimes and they have a very hung up attitude.

In general, my vacation was a very memorable one. Although very hectic and busy I still enjoyed it. Thanks to my host, my best friend Doreen and also to Shelly and Michael (her bosses) for letting me stay with my best friend and live with her during the two weeks I've been here. I really could not forget everything I've experienced in France.

When I arrived at Los Angeles after a long four hours flight I was so tired already. I arrived almost midnight in at my apartment in Los Angeles and I still have to work the next day. When I woke up the next morning geared for my clinicals scrubs I noticed that one of the tire of my car at the front right side was flat.

I got nervous because I was worried if I could make it to my class. I slowly drove the car at the nearest gas station and put air in it. Luckily, it was okay and I made it to my class. Thank God.

I really couldn't forget everything that I've experienced during my two weeks vacation and these things have effected and affected me so much than before and had made me into a new and mature person, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment