Saturday, January 23, 2010

Storm

It really irked me sometimes when I don't have something in mind to write here on my blog. It was a big challenge and very difficult on my part. Although every thing around us is a big opportunity to write about still my mind just couldn't make up for something even for just one. Aaaah.....

But for the meantime, just bear with this one. I know it's a very weak one but at least I tried to put up one here. And thanks a lot for wasting your time reading it though. Hehehe. For the meantime, please enjoy this one and I hope you'll like it though how silly it was.

Over the whole week California was been bombarded by a winter Pacific storm. It was raining hard all through out the week. It all started last Monday when the television forecast started to dessiminate that the Los Angeles area will be on a flash flood alert because of the coming storm.

With the just recently concluded devastation of the high magnitude earthquake in Haiti and the consecutive typhoons flooding the city of Manila in the Philippines last year to name a few, the world is in a lot a calamities and catastrophies lately. May be this is already the effect of the global warming that some people were been predicting.

The rain started last Tuesday and it was really pouring hard. A lot of area in Los Angeles were affected by flash flood and mud slides because of the heavy rain. And the drainage systems in most of the cities were not that good thereby creating a lot of flooding. And some houses on the mountains were been abandoned because of the mudslides. The mudslides also clogged some of the important highways near the mountains thereby tempting the authorities to close them.

The weather was very wet and gloomy and it feels so depressing to look at every where because there is nothing to do when it is raining. People just doesn't want to move or get out of their houses because of the heavy rain. A lot of things are being stalled to be done and it affects a lot of people's lives greatly.

Last Wednesday, when I had my clinical rotation with Batch 12-A at Imperial Crest Healthcare Facility the rain was still pouring hard. And it still continued pouring hard even after my shift finished. When I left the facility the freeway traffic was very slow, the road was slippery and wet, and the visibility was even blurry. It was really hard driving on a pouring rain. There were a lot of accidents seen everywhere because people here in Los Angeles just doesn't know how to drive when it rains. I mean I don't mind the rain. I actually missed it a lot.

I grew up in a tropical country where it was raining all year round. I even remembered when we usually used to play in the rain when we were little. And we always get sick all the time because of playing in it. My parents always reprimanded me for getting home from school wet which always gives me cold and fever all the time. I was very sickly when I was little.

Now that it was raining here in Los Angeles I can still remember those old memories I had. But having rain here in Los Angeles is very unusual in this very dry land. But this week the rain had changed a lot of our lives in this very busy city in the western part of United States.

You can see people coming to work getting their uniforms wet from the rain. There were umbrellas sprouting everywhere. Some were wearing ponchos and rain outfits in order for them not to get wet. People also were late at work because of the slow traffic. And there were a lot of accidents happening around because of the slippery road.

It was raining for almost four days already and a lot of properties were been damaged. A lot of people were been affected and their lives being altered. This storm was quite a nuisance now. And people here in Los Angeles are not used to it. It is very unusual to have everything altered because of the storm.

Today, I was so happy that the sun was out proudly which is a good sign. Finally, the storm had passed and people can go back to their normal life. But even though the storm had already abated, it really greatly affected us here in Southern California and I know it brought a lot of changes in our lives.

The storm brought us a lot of lessons. Just like those dark moments in our life. They always come unwanted and is inevitable. All we can do is to be prepared when's the next storm will come into our lives so that by the time they show up again we will be better prepared and equipped on what to do.

Better prepared than never. Life is too short so always learn from the storm that passed by because they always bring a lot of lessons to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment