Monday, January 25, 2010

Goofing Around

I am working tonight at my hospital job. There were three of us working together and I was the charge nurse. I don't know what hit me tonight but I am on my most unusual self goofing around with my co-workers and we always burst into laughters every time we met up at the nurse's station.

Well, technically being a gay guy carries a lot of happy baggages. And that's the thing that my co-worker likes a lot from me. Sometimes I can crack up jokes that's blurting out from my mouth fluently and all I know they were already laughing out loud because of the way I delivered the joke. I didn't know I am that natural joker but as what I have observed they were so amused by what I am doing. Strange but true!

Tonight we even spiced up our night with some jokes that we seldom hear. The moment I open my mouth they already started to laugh and hold their tummy as if they're get bloated from too much laughters. We always keep it that way, and we never get tired joking around at each other. We have a great companionship together and we always help out everytime we got busy.

Our night was uneventful when we started after 1900 and then everything went busy after we got our first admission. But despite of the rush we still managed to goof out at each other. We also helped each other greatly to expidite the admission process. We made a good team tonight. It was amazing and awesome!

Tonight we all started with three patients each (there were three of us so that's nine total) and Shirley already took report of a neuro patient at around 2300 who was been transferred from adult intensive care unit (ICU) after staying there for two days.

Two days ago she was been admitted at our floor after a ventriculo-peritoneal (VP) shunt placement but few hours after she was transferred to our floor she started to have some major seizure episodes which prompted us to call for a rapid response team. After we resuscitated her that night, she was then eventually transferred to ICU.

Now, we are waiting for the second admission. I volunteered to take it because Rose had a one-to-one baby who's a product of a drug dependent mother. She was secretly sneaked out by the mom from the hospital and was been given to a foster parent because the mom was been arrested for endangering the baby.

Now she got admitted and was very irritable and fussy all the time. A typical symptom of a drug overdose delivery wherein the baby had absorbed some of the drug taken by the mom and manifested the side effects of the overdose. Poor baby!

My admission came in close after midnight and I had met with the baby's parents. They were very nice people and very cooperative. I explained to them that their baby is very sick and needs to be in the hospital for antibiotic therapy as what was been ordered on the doctor's order. They were hopeful that their baby will get well soon. I orientated the mom with the unit's policies and guidelines then explained to her some of the procedures needed for the baby.

I bagged the baby for urinalysis and culture and sensitivity, then asked the mom to help me suction the baby's nose because it was been clogged with thick boogers. I also collected an eye drainage specimen for culture and sensitivity because the baby has bilateral conjunctivitis.

When I took the temperature it was 102.2 degrees Fahrenheit. There was no physician's orders yet coz he just came up so I then did cooling measures and called the residents to ask for an order of Tylenol or Motrin. After that I hanged the intravenous fluid and connected it on the already inserted saline lock doen in emergency room.

I also provided the parents with blankets for them to get warm and comfortable as they look out for their son while in the hospital. They were so thankful that they were been well taken cared of when they went up to our unit. It was a good feeling to have heard such appreciation from them.

Then at 0200 the bedboard beeper sounded again telling us that there's another pending admission coming. I checked the computer and printed all the data of the patient then gave it to Rose who's suppose to admit the patient because me and Shirley were already capped out for admission. In short we already reached our maximum limit.

Well, it was an easy night initially for us goofing and joking out at each other then all of a sudden we were very busy. May be this was a curse for us because of the fun we had earlier. Then all of a sudden we were been jinxed. They say that the twin of being happy and having so much fun is always sadness or badluck. That's just the usual cliche but I think it is always true. Here I go again, trying to be superstious.

Eventhough we were that busy but still we still managed to laugh and make jokes at each other. There's always a reward for living happily well and satisfied in your life. Instead of immersing yourself to some depressing moments and pessimistic attitudes being positive and optimistic is a good thing. It release us from the bad stressors that surrounds us.

And to us we always appreciate the fun we had with each other despite of the sudden turn of events making us very busy. The magnitude of our teamwork was so immense and we're always learning from each other. It was a very satisfying experience all the time and I always learned a lot everyday as I tried to love and cherish my work.

Goofing around is another avenue for us to relieve the stress that were always lurking around us in our job situations. It was a cool and satisfying joking experience we always had. Aaah .... I love using up my good sense of humor into a positive and productive use. It always spice up a very stressful life. It is a fact and I totally agree with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment