Thursday, December 24, 2009

Be An Angel

Christmas is that time of giving and receiving. It is a time of forgetting the bad and remembering the good that had happened to us for the whole year. And it is the time where we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ who redeemed us from the sin of death.

Christmastime is also the time of sharing everything we have in excess and sharing our love and affection. It is also the time to forgetting and forgiving people who have owed us a lot or hurt us so bad. It is the time of peace and love all throughout mankind.

Yeah, and this Christmas season we hope that we will share our gifts and blessings for others who doesn't have one. It is time to play like an angel to someone who doesn't feel love all throughtout their lifetime. It is poignant to know that there are people like this in our society and I couldn't express more sympathy to them because it is really bad to be involved in such situations that somebody had not loved them.

I worked part time as a court child advocate and as an advocate it is my responsibility to take care of kids who got abandoned by their family. Some of these kids were been bruised and abused emotionally, physically, and psycholigically. It is heartwrenching to know their plight as they struggled to find love and shelter at this early formative point of their life. It really breaks my heart a lot.

I had a chance to met this awesome eight-year-old boy who went to a foster home because authorities had him taken out from his parents place because he was severely abused physically by his stepfather. When I met him initially I can see the dark fear in his deep blue eyes and it was really hard for me to establish a good rapport with him initially because he was really guarding his stead.

Eventually, with my constant contact and interaction with him he had grown trust for me and we started talking initially until he opened up with me. With my skills acquired during college for learning therapeutic communication which I rigidly applied in interacting with him I finally gained his precious trust until he started opening his life to me.

Listening to his past experiences, I started to immersed myself in his situation and empathized to him constantly. I listened very intently to him everytime I had a serious and close conversation with him. He immediately granted my unconditional brotherly love for him with his kind friendship until we grow very close to each other. And as I met him twice a month we always have fun with each other. Now it is time to wean off my ties with him and start meeting another subject and challenge myself.

Lately, when I met him two days ago, I told him about the termination phase, he started to shed tears and told me that he already had trusted me a lot. I told him that we can be friends and I can be his big brother forever and whenever he goes he will just have to think of me and everything will be all right. He told me that I am his angel from now on and he can't forget me until he grow old.

By the time we bade goodbye to each other, I gave him my Christmas gift and told him that hopefully we can see again in the future and I want him to be successful someday. It was a poignant goodbye but it was the right move to do so that he can go on with his own life.

Hopefully next year, I will be meeting another advocate subject and get challenged again like this. My child advocacy work, had given me a lot of confidence in dealing with troubled kids and the chance to  share my knowledge and wisdom in defending these bruised kids and I was thankful to God that I was able to be of help to them even though in a small way.

And Christmas is always the right time to do this because it heralds the coming of the Lord and tells us to prepare ourselves for that coming of the Lord God. I can't ask for anything else this Christmastime but only for helping abused kids who needed my help in helping them pick-up their broken pieces and helped them put up the puzzle piece by piece until it will become whole.

The process will be enormously tedious and long but the satisfaction of helping them knows no bounds. And to me Christmas will even add icing to the cake because they will think that Jesus is always there to help them, and that He will send angels for them to guide them and these angels will be us.

So be an angel to them especially in helping them mending the broken pieces of their life and hopefully the feeling of having them helped by you will be enormous and satisfying to each and everyone of us. Help in your own way and God will guide you in every way. Trust in Him all the time and everything will be all right.

I hope helping other people will find you peace as you celebrate this holiday season. Merry Christmas and a Promising New Year to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment