Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gratitude 2: A Job Well Done

I was basically sitting at my usual corner at work yesterday wrapping up my documentation for my patients when my unit supervisor called me inside her office.

I was palpitating that time upon knowing that she wants to speak to me in private. I dreaded those times when supervisors had to talk to me and confront me about patients and parents complaints regarding my work.

Although I know that I did not do anything wrong, I was kinda nervous when I was knocking at her door. She then politely asked me to come in and take a seat.

She asked me if I have any idea why she called me in the middle of my work and I honestly told her may be it's pertaining to my job or any complaints made by my patients and their significant others.

She was smiling at me because of my nonchalant reaction and my obvious nervousness. And she told me to just relax and listen to what she will be saying.

She told me that a parent had obviously left a comment through a letter about me, for a job well done, because I left a good impression at them in taking care of her very sick son.

I then asked her who was the patient and she told me that the patient who came in one time for an emergency appendectomy with those Argentinian decent. I then remembered that cute and handsome 12-year-old polite boy with a lot of family inside the room.

I told my supervisor that I was just doing my job and I was amazaed that my client was satistified about my services.

My supervisor then thanked me for a job well done and told me to continue to promote good and excellent patient care and customer service so that our patients will continually patronized our facility and continue to recommend them to their relatives and other people they know.

She then handed me a copy of the letter written in Spanish and a typewritten letter being translated by the hospital's translator for me to understand. She also gave me two movie passes and a thank you card and most especially a slight pat on the back.

I went out of the office smiling and very relieved, brushing off my anxiety earlier, thinking that I may be executed and reprimanded from any wrong doings. But I was totally mistaken about my premature premonitions.

Here is the excerpt of the letter in Spanish followed by the English translation:

A Todas Las Enfermeras Pediatricas:

Estoy, la Sra. Maria Cisneros, quisiera darle las gracias por la atencion todos apasionados por su atencion a mi querido hijo, que se admitiran a una apendicectomia y se quedo en su piso de pediatria desde hace mas de una semana. Sin su dedicacion en su trabajo de mi hijo no se curan tan rapido. El hospital nos ha dado las enfermeras profesionales y el cuidado que sabe lo que hacen y que ama su trabajo. Yo no podia decir mas, pero muchas gracias por el excelente trabajo ayudando a mi hijo y nosotros como padres, asi como en hacer frente a esta crisis poco. Personas bueno trabajo. Me encantaria volver de nuevo aqui en este hospital si alguno de mi familia se enferma y con gusto le recomendara su unidad. Un agradecimiento especial a Tonee que es enfermera principal de mi hijo por su constante seguimiento del progreso de mi hijo. Y a todo el mundo ..... Gracias a todos.

Respetuosamente,

Sr. y la Sra. Emmanuel Cisneros y Familia
(Padres de Brian Cisneros)

Translated into English by the hospital translator as the following:

To All Pediatric Nurses:

I, Mrs. Maria Cisneros, would like to thank you for all your passionate care given to my dear son who got admitted for an appendectomy and stayed in your pediatric floor for more than one week. Without your dedication in your job my son won't heal so fast. The hospital has given us professional and caring nurses who knows what they do and who loves their job. I could not say for more but thanks a lot for the excellent job in helping my son and us as parents as well in coping for this little crises. Good job guys! I would love to come back again here in this hospital if some of my family will be ill and will gladly recommend your unit. Special thanks to Mr. Tonee who is my son's primary nurse for his constant follow-up of his progress. And to everyone.... thank you all.

Respectfully yours,

Mr. and Mrs. Emmanuel Cisneros and Family
(Parents of Brian Cisneros)

Sometimes people just can't express their gratitude in some way or the other. Sometimes people take time to write what they feel for the small help they got from others. And this lifted their feelings if they can say something to the person they are intended to thank for and express their sincere gratitude.

And in the case of the Cisneros Family, what they felt inside was a genuine gratitude for the services rendered to them with total sincerety and respect and they appreciated every effort the nurses have put up for their son who was so sick.

For me, it was an honor to have served them in times of their need and to be of help in every way. It was a good feeling to have helped them in every way without expecting any return or any appreciation but for what they did to write us a letter was even an exceptional gesture for us appreciating our own efforts to help them out.

It lifted my spirits to have encountered such thankful and polite people who has the humility to generate a sense of gratitude and appreciation. And I hope others will be the same as what the Cisneros had felt and expressed. But it is impossible though because people have diverse views about other peoples services and efforts.

But I salute what they did, and I hope they will stay as genuine as what I've known them. Thank you also for letting us serve you and help you during your stay at our unit and our hospital.

Hope to see you again in the near future. To the Cisneros Family good luck. And to Brian, get well soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment