Friday, September 25, 2009

Gratitude 1: Thank You!

I should have entered this blog last week, but because of my very hectic and jampacked schedule I saved this best for last.

Sometimes it's a nice feeling to receive a nice compliment from somebody appreciating what we have done for them. At least, it's good to know that we are being recognized for our small efforts, gestures, and dedication in our job. Least to say, we are being appreciated because we care not about our job but we care because of our objects and subjects. It boosts our self-worth.

This one letter was emailed to me by my Director-of-Nursing from school. As I read this letter, it never occured in my mind that the little things I did to my students was so great for them. That my thoughts of just doing and finishing my job safely as a clinical instructor was a huge help for them to guide them in their studies.

I mean I love my students, and I always geared my objectives towards their professional growth. For them to learn a lot of things and challenges under my care was a huge paycheck. By learning these things it will make them prepare and ready for the challenges of the outside world. But I never thought this small gestures was a great deal to them. I thought I was just doing my job! And it is heartwarming to hear and see that they even appreciated even the littlest things that I do, shared, and told them.

Here is a letter written by a very isolated and unpredictable student. I mean isolated because of his color. He tend to isolate himself and do things on his own. Unpredictable because you never know what mood he will present everyday. Sometimes he will be extremely excited sometimes down relaxed.

He is a quiet guy, unmindful and imperceptible of his classmates around him. He does his patient care alone but with my supervision. He is quite drawn to his own world of caring his patients that even his classmates had branded him as odd or strange. But as an unbiased clinical instructor I do understood what he's going through.

One time he told me about his own experiences that he had a very rough life and he sweared not to go back to that bitter days he had lived on the streets. And because of his determination to study and avail an educational loan he pushed himself hard to pursue his dreams to have a decent education. I was so touched by his story and I couldn't blame him to separate himself from his cohorts. I mean this is a guy with a purpose and I commend him for his will to survive and his struggles to dream and live a better life.

Sometimes appreciation comes to people who had a lot of experiences and adversities in life. They never stopped appreciating even the teeny-tiny grace and gifts they received from somebody and from anybody. It never shocked me that he wrote this letter and here it goes: (I have to initialized his full name for confidentiality purposes.)

"On behalf of the "Magic 13", Batch 6, I thank you very much for allowing us the opportunity to learn at Homestead Schools, Inc, Licensed Vocational Nursing program! We also thank you for providing us with very competent, safe, knowledgeable, kind, caring, and loving theory and clinical instructors who did an excellent job in teaching us with what we needed to know in order to pass the NCLEX and in order to work as safe, competent, knowledgeable, skillful, kind, caring, and loving nurses! Good job Mr. XXXXX! Good job theory and clinical instructors! Thank you and have a very serene, joyous, relaxing, and calm weekend! Peace!"   from: M.S.C.-SVN send 9/20/09 @ 1:43 PM PST

I hope this will be an eye opener for me to even pay attention to what I am doing whenever I teach my students, guiding them in their most critical student life everyday as they learn a variety of things to skillfully and confidently prepare them in their nursing career.

Fortunately, all my students were very kind and appreciative about my care and supervision. And I hope they have learned a lot from me as I assist them in their everyday student life.

And for sure, each faculty in my institution deserved a pat on the back for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment