Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cramming for PALS

These past two days I've been very busy studying. Studying what?...... I was studying and cramming for my two day Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS) class. That's why it's been a while for me not to come here and blog my previous days experiences.

Pediatric Advance Life Support (PALS) is a two day class about the principles of taking care a critically ill pediatric patient in the hospital setting. This class is intended for those nurses, doctors, and healthcare workers who worked in the Pediatric Floor, PICU, pediatric home-health care, and emergency room. And it has to be renewed every two years.

I've endured two days of just sulking in my room, tapping my laptop, reviewing the compact disc that accompanied my PALS Study Guide and Course Manual. I got to take the pre-course exam and review all the questions in that CD about basic electrocardiogram strips, pharmacology, and critical situations pertaining to pediatric cases. I also have to review the twelve case studies we are going to tackle in the class.

These past few weeks, I haven't had the chance to read the Course Manual because of my back to back schedule at the hospital and school.

Honestly, I barely opened my manual and everytime I opened it at work we just can't stop admitting so my chances to read the book became slim. I started to panic already, and I have only a one day off to study yet I felt so tired after several days of working, so I opted to get enough rest first.

By the time I opened the book I just concentrated on reading the list from the small booklet and guide included in the packet. I meticulously reviewed and memorized every algorithms and medications as well as the normal ranges in that little booklet. It was extremely nerve-wracking actually...... a nailbiter. Aaaaah.....

Then a night before the first day, I reviewed and re-read the twelve cases starting from the respiratory, cardiac, and until the shock sample cases. I also got to review the sequence of how to carefully assess a critical pediatric patient. I have to memorize all these facts by heart for the skills lab the next day.

During the first day, I woke up at around 3am to review everything and prepare the things I needed to bring for the class. I left the house at 7am and got to the hospital thirty minutes before eight and I noticed that I came early.

So I went up to the Pediatric Unit on the eight floor to have my morning coffee. At least the coffee had helped calm my nerves down. I don't really know what to expect from this class today that's why I couldn't help worrying about it. I heard from my colleagues who took this class before that the instructor was very strict and very detailed in outlining her instructions and expectations.

Upon meeting with Ms. Liz Gerber, she immediately outlined her lecture to us. We reviewed about the various drugs used in pediatric emergency cases, the current new additions in standard care for  PALS according to the national conference held by the American Health Association last year, and also viewed some important pediatric cases videos related to various pediatric emergencies.

We were dismissed early at 2pm so I immediately went home and continued reading and reviewing what we tackled that day. I also reviewed more cases from the compact disc and retook the pre-course test for me to get used with the clinical situations.

After tirelessly reviewing, re-reviewing, reading, and re-reading everything from the books and disc, I decided to call it quits. I slept early that night at 9pm trying to condition myself for the second day class tomorrow.

During the second day, we started exactly at 8am and I noticed that there were some more participants who came in for the recertification. It wasn't a big class though but enough just to compose for two code teams.

We viewed more videos and discussed our expectations for the skills lab that day. After viewing all the cases we separated into two groups and started the skills test at each lab stations.

We got to do the child and infant CPR with AED use, practice inserting an endotracheal tube on a dummy, have a feel of inserting an intra-osseus needle on a chicken leg, and simulate a mock code by doing a team-leading approach in reviving a sick and critical child based on the cardiac rhythm presented on the portable monitor.

So far we all did good. Then after all the skills lab we took the written exam which I perfected, fortunately. I was so proud of myself for passing everything. High-five for that....... yeah.

We culminated at 4pm and I was so happy to receive my PALS Certification and card after the class . It was a good feeling to have reaped the fruits of my efforts despite of my cramming method in studying. It was funny though because my method of studying like this was not that usual to me. I've been doing this since I was still in college yet I did good during those times. I passed college with flying colors actually.

Now, I am back to that old practice again. I don't know, but I just can't shake that habit away. I think that's how I really am. I know I am sour-graping about this already. And I know this is not a good way of preparing for any exams but I just can't help not getting rid of it. I think it is my own way or my defense mechanism in facing a very stressful situations.

In this case, what I can do is to try my best to minimize my cramming episodes and my approach in facing adversity, in that I can lessen exposing myself to any stressful situations. I think this is the most healthful way to take care of myself by eliminating some stressors that will make me more panicky and procrastinate on the things I needed to take care on time. I hope I won't repeat this habit again in the future.

Preparing in advance is the best way to beat and face a stressful situation. Maybe it's just how the way I handle my priorities ahead of time.

Hopefully, things will get better and life will be easier for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment