Monday, September 28, 2009

Flu Shot

I left the house early at 8am for my monthly check-up with my personal physician. Not because I am sick but to ask for an appointment approval for my annual ophthalmologist and optician checkup from my HMO insurance because I've been having some bouts of little episodes of migraine lately and also for my yearly flu shots.

It's been two years already that I haven't been back to my ophtalmologist for a routine eye check-up so in order for me to get approved by my insurance, I have to set an appointment for my primary healthcare provider to request for a referral. Hence, this visit was been made.

I was also running out of disposable soft contact lenses and my eyeglasses was been two years outdated already. I needed to be checked and measured up for a new dimensional glasses as well as do my routine eye check-up.

I was so worried about my eye pressure or maybe my brain, that's why I was experiencing a lot of uncontrolled headaches lately. I was prematurely deducing that I have a mild brain overgrowth or tumor that's why I have the headache. It was really weird if you have a know-how about a lot of medical diagnosis that's why it is inevitable for me to think and anticipate for something worst. Well, I hope I am wrong with that premature assumption.

Generally, I am doing great actually. It's just that I can't help thinking of the worst scenario that will happen. Neurologically, I am doing okay and normal. Nothing amiss really happened except for my intermittent lower extremity numbness which is due to my continued peripheral neuropathy which I incurred as a side-effect for a high-dose of Isoniazid  I am taking before for my positive PPD, which left me numb on both my legs and which I think will be a permanent symptom. That's why I was prescribed for a lifetime Neurontin for my chronic lower extremity pain.

When I got to meet my primary healthcare provider, she asked me if I have more symptoms felt other than the peripheral neuropathy, then I told her about my intermittent bouts of mild headache on my forehead then she agreed with me that it is time for me to visit my ophthalmologist and optician.

She then told me that it is flu season again so it is time for my flu and pneumonia shot. When I heard about this, I immediately fussed and reacted about it, telling her that I don't really need it, trying to get my way out of it, but she insisted for me to have it done because of the current and widespread occurence of H1N1 virus also known as the Swine Flu virus globally. She then told me not to leave the room not until I get both shots.

I didn't complain anymore but instead I stayed in the room and  just waited for the nurse to come to administer the shots being ordered. Anyway, it is a free shot and it is for my own good and protection.

I don't know though but everytime I hear about needles I freaked out right away. My extreme phobia of needles can be traced way back when I was little. I remember one time when I was in elementary when we had a typhoid and cholera vaccination in school, I have to hide myself in a broombox just to evade the injection process. But I ended up getting it anyway after hearing a bunch of reprimands from my teacher-adviser. My fear of needles actually started there, then it continued until now.

In the room, I was sweating profusely upon knowing that the nurse will be coming in a short moment carrying two syringes with the shots (for the flu and pneumonia) and the needles. When she started  knocking at the door, I couldn't help stop fidgeting, as if I am having an extreme panic attack. I wanted to piss on my pants right there and then.

And when she started to inject the needles on both sides of my deltoids, I yelped and gasped loudly in anticipation for the intended prick. Then while feeling the vaccines being pushed slowly into my muscles, one at a time, I involuntarily twitched my muscles to feel less pain as my muscles absorbed the drug.

My heart was pounding hard and beating too fast because of my premature perception of imminent pain. But actually, it was nothing. It's just that I am extremely afraid of the sight of needles, and that's it. My God, I acted like an imp at that very moment, totally regressing at a very simple procedure. It was probably a funny sight for the nurse who administered the vaccine. It was a total embarrassment.

Fortunately, the worst thing was already over and the vaccine was already in my system. But I still feel that I was melting like a lighted candle and felt like a bursting balloon after that quick little prick. My knees felt so limp and my body felt so exhausted.

Although it wasn't that very bad but I really still feel funny. So I just take in some quick little deep breaths to ease up the anxiousness until I felt better. At least everything was already over and now I felt more secured and protected against any infection of the virus now that the flu season is nearing.

I went home a little exhausted maybe because of the sudden adrenalin rush I felt during the procedure. I was so tired after that so I opted to take a short nap for a while, then do my laundry and household chores.

I think the flu shot is the best way and my best ticket to prevent myself not to be sick this year, although it is not really a guarantee to escape from having one because all I know there are various kinds of strains for the influenza virus spreading around us. But hopefully I am crossing my fingers that nothing major will happen for me this year.

Actually last year, eventhough I had both shots I still had a mild congestion and coughing episodes during the last Winter Season. We can never tell actually, but at least I did some precautionary measures to just lessen the severity of the disease should I get one this year.

It's never been too late to protect ourselves against the imminent danger of the common diseases lurking around us. Handwashing is always the best way and technique to ward off and combat it as well as getting a flu shot. Then eating right, taking vitamins, drinking a lot of water, and getting enough rest can also help.

Protect yourself against any infection. Act now while it is still early and you will be spared from the worst scenario to happen. It is never too late to have one. Get out there and get one!

No comments:

Post a Comment