Saturday, December 24, 2016

Vienna Sojourn

November 10, 2016 - After strolling Berlin for the whole day, I am ready for a 9-hour bus ride going to Vienna, Austria. I bought a ticket from a Flix Bus Application and it was half price cheaper than the train so I decided to take a bus.

My trip started at 2300H. From the hotel, I took a taxi and had me dropped off at the Berlin Central Bus Station and waited till the bus left. I was so tired from so much walking that day and decided to just sleep at the bus for the whole 9-hour journey. I braced myself for the long trip and made sure that my phone is fully charged in case there were no charging plugs in the bus. But alas, there were and an internet connection as well.

The trip was smooth and I cannot fall asleep despite I purposely closed my eyes. I was awake all along on our way to Prague (for we will be having a layover in Prague after 4 hours). Along the way I saw that the route was been partly covered with white dusts and I realized that they were snow. It was dark and white along the way. The first sight of me to see snow. yay!

We arrived in Prague at 0300H, and it was very cold and raining. Some of the passengers went down to smoke and I stayed to check my posts online and some important messages if there were any. Apparently, there were some minor notices and I answered them promptly.

After a short rest in Prague, the bus continued it's route going to Vienna. I then felt sleepy so I dozed off for 3 hours. I woke up at 0630H and we're halfway to Vienna. I kept myself turned from time to time cuz I felt that my bottom had already felt the pressure from too much sitting for a long time.

We arrived in Vienna at 1000H and from the bus station I took a cab and had me dropped off at the hotel at the heart of the city. I checked in at the Bed and Breakfast Hotel and then showered and took a nap for I was so tired from the 9-hour long trip.

I woke up at around 1400H and was very very hungry. I garbed myself well for the cold weather and then took a siesta at the restaurant at the hotel then I asked for the map of the subway at the reception and studied it.

At 1500H, it was already dark so I decided to just follow the street from the hotel going to the heart of the city until I found the Christmas Market at St. Stephen's Cathedral at Stephanplatz Station. The area was teeming with tourists because the cathedral was very famous. And the shopping area surrounding it was also full of shopper's trying to catch up with their shopping for the holidays.

From the cathedral I, I went underground to take the subway and I went out at the Volkstheater Platz. It was already dark when I went out of the subway and from the subway I walk a little bit towards the museum area which was illuminated by light wintery hue with snowflakes light. I then went to take a picture of the museum and then went to the park in front of it with the other two museums facing each other at a fountain where the statue of Queen Victoria was erected.

The are a was been under construction and there were closed Christmas Market Kiosks scattered around it maybe for the Christmas Market bazaar.

I then continued to amble at the middle of the park and there was the Victory Gate I passed going through the City Hall illuminated well with the Christmas spirit. It was a very beautiful sight and I just cannot take my eyes on the illuminated C-shaped building. It was a pretty site during that night.

After feasting my eyes at the beautiful building and snapping pictures of it in my camera, I continued walking until I reached the Rathaus Building with some closed Christmas Market Kiosks just like the once I saw at the park. Some kiosks were open and I both some necklace charms from there. There was also a Christmas lights arch in front of the Christmas Market and it was really filled up with the Christmassy spirit. The Rathaus Building was drowned with those kiosks and the building being illuminated at the back just served as the backdrop of the whole view in front of it.

The theater across was also stunning and I could not help myself took some pictures of it in all angles. From there the night was quite dark despite is was only 1800H and I was already hungry so I decided to take my dinner at an Italian Resto near the theater. I ordered an assorted of green salad and the salmon pappardelle pasta.

After dinner I took the subway and hopped off at the Karlplatz and walked to my hotel. It was a very productive first day in Vienna!

November 11, 2016 - It was my second and last day in Vienna so I need to maximized my time to as much as possible see the whole of the city. I have to woke up early because I needed to transfer to a hotel because my reservation at the bed and breakfast hotel was only for one day which was my fault. I thought I could do it in one day that's why my reservation was only for one day.

After transferring to the hotel, I planned to retraced the route I did last night and see how it looks during the day. I started at the Votivkirche Church near the Rathaus Building area. when I got to the park in front of the Votivkirche area I started getting some pictures and enjoyed the beauty of the baroque church and checked out the fallen leaves of the backyard.

From there I headed to the Rathaus area and had enjoyed the open Christmas Market teeming with revelers and tourists. I enjoyed the festive ambiance of the place browsing each kiosks on what goodies they were selling. I bought some food to quench my hunger (it was already lunchtime) and sipped some warm malted wine on a rented mug (with 3 euros deposit). It was a very cool experience roaming around the Christmas Market and see people enjoying the place from all corners.

From there, I continued to walk and saw the Parliament Building which was very catchy from a distance because of the huge and gilded statue in front of it. It was so beautiful as if Neptune had just came out from the waves. The building was also enormous and full of Greek columns in the front. Both sides appear symmetrically nice and I enjoyed looking at it in front at the other side of the street.

After enjoying the beauty of the Parliament Building, I then continued to ambled towards the park that I went last night and retraced the route going to the city hall which stood at the center of the park in a C-shaped manner like a crescent. Like the Parliament Building the city hall appears symmetrical as well from distance. It was an awe-inspiring building and I also enjoyed watching it's beauty from where I stood. The Victory Gate beside it was also stunning. There appear more vivid at day compared to at night when I went there last night.

I kept ambling towards the Volkstheater area and went to the Queen Victoria fountain in between the two museum buildings which were also symmetrical in appearance facing each other. What's there in Vienna where all the buildings were symmetrical in designs and shapes. They were so stunning!

From there I crossed the street and checked out the Museum of Natural History. I only checked the building. I did not went in the museum because I don't have time anymore. After checking out the building I then headed back to the hotel where I got lost several times. Hahaha.

It was raining hard when I got at the hotel so I stayed there and ate dinner at the restaurant at the lobby and prepared to meet my friend Mauro from Colombia. We ate dinner and talked a little bit at the room and I told him that I will leaving early morning at 0500H going to Prague.

My stay at Vienna was short lived but full of adventures and guts. I liked the festive spirit at the Christmas Market and the long stroll around the city. I know I still have to see the Belvedere's and hopefully will be back to put them in my bucket lists next time. What a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment