Saturday, December 24, 2016

New York Layover

I was going to Eastern Europe for a 3-weeks vacation and on my first day I left Los Angeles via a United Airlines plane and had a 7-hour layover in New York. In order to pass the time I contacted Rika a day before to pick me up at the airport if she has time and I am glad that she could and Tyler will drive me around.

I arrived at Newark International Airport at 0730 and as agreed Rika had picked me up at the airport. Too bad Tyler got ticketed by the state trooper for parking at the wrong curb in the airport. Those troopers are just mean. Tyler was so devastated but we comforted him.

After the pick up we drove around Newark and had a good breakfast at a Cuban restaurant there. The food was really great and I liked it.

After breakfast Tyler drove us at the waterfront and had a great picture of the New York Manhattan Skylines as the background across the Hudson river. We strolled a little bit and then went to pick up the potted plant that Tyler bought at the plant store then dropped it off at Tyler's place.

After dropping the plant, we then crossed the tunnel and went to New York. Tyler drove us at the Empire State Building and we went the Bryant park to check out the Christmas bazaar stores. The streets of New York was cordoned because there were food festival that day. It was kinda crowded but the festive ambiance was really intoxicating.

Bryant Park was a quaint small park and was been teeming with a lot of Christmas kiosks selling holiday goodies. There was also an ice skating rink in the middle of the park with jolly kids skating and enjoying the feel of the smooth snow rink. The feel of the holidays was already being felt and New York was quite immersed by it.

After enjoying the raucous at Bryant Park we decided to walk to Time Square just for them to show me what Time Square to me as a first timer in the city. Well, in my observation it wasn't really spectacular because I felt that I was in Hollywood anyway. To me Time Square was really overrated but oh well it's good that I saw it personally and had my own feel about it as an outsider and first timer.

Since the time of my stay in New York is almost coming to an end, the pair had decided to bring me to the High-End Street in Manhattan. They told me that it was an old train subway street that was converted into a touristic area, planted some trees and made some garden to make it more like a garden on top of the streets overlooking the skylines of Manhattan.

When we got there the place had caught my eye because of the color of the falling leaves informing us that indeed it was Fall Season. It was beautiful there and made me realized that it wasn't New York because it was unusual to see such lush trees and grasses in a crowded city. At least the street had catalyzed the view of the big tall buildings and made a rustic touch to it. It was beautiful.

After we've trough there, I decided to call it quits and requested the couple to drop me off at the airport. We still have 1-hour to cross the tunnel and go to the airport to officially end the layover.

We got to the airport in time for me to line up for the security line and waited for my plane to Berlin. I am thankful that Rika had volunteered to pick me up and show me New York at least I don't have to boringly wait for my flight at Newark International Airport on my way to Europe.

It was a very fruitful day. Shout out to Rika for picking me up and to Tyler to drive us around. Thank you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment