Saturday, February 18, 2012

Strolling Along Paseo de la Reforma

FEBRUARY 17, 2012: From the castle, I went down the hill not waiting for the tram to go up and picked me up. I just wanted to feel how it feels to go down the hill striding along with other tourists and revelers alike and feel the roughness of the cobbled stone pavements 

Upon exiting the gate at the bottom of the hill, I ambled towards the forked-paved-road and took the one on the right side towards the Chapultepec Statue in the middle of the park.

The statue was carved in a white shiny limestone, depicting the people who defended the country during the revolution in the 1800's. The statue was titled as "A Los Defensores de la Patria" and was perched on the center of a huge stage intended may be for public performances. 

At the back of the statue stood five tall marble pillars with ornately carved black stone eagles raising their wings upward with their heads looking up in the blue sky, like they're ready to go on flight, thereby appeared like clinging to the pillar. On top of the pillar perched a curled wave patterned in black marble. The whole stage appeared very nice and elegant to look at.

I then continued walking towards the west side of the park, after taking pictures of the enormous stage, continuing my walk towards the gate facing the La Reforma Avenue.  

In front of the black gate gilded with gold at the tips were two panthers guarding the west entrance gate. Across, the street was a tall green glass building and on the opposite side was a shrine towering almost the same height of the building across. 

On top of the shrine was  a huge iron bell. As what I understood the shrine was intended for giving homage to the people who died during the revolution, as also depicted on the stage I just passed by.

I took the pictures of the two towers and then continued ambling towards the avenue going west. 

Several blocks to the west direction, I can see the Fountain of Diana in a circular shape, with the water spouting stationary forming a huge circle of sprouting water in the middle of the street. The middle faucet was springing water in an archway direction towards the standing green stone statue, proudly standing at the center, looking like praying ladies from a distance. The fountain was so pretty to look at from where I stood across the street.

After that, I crossed the street then continued to walk towards West but I felt like buying the potato chips I saw at  the corner, sold by a very amiable guy. I bought one and had requested the guy to sprinkle a little bit of salt, lime, and red chili powder on top of the chips. I never thought it will  taste so magically delicious.  

I continued walking while enjoying my little treat towards the direction of the famous La Independencia Monument, which was made as the symbol of independence  for the Mexican people, which was just like three blocks away from where I am.

When I got to the monument, I was in awe to see it in person. In my previous travels I used to see it while I was in the car and in the Turibus which also appeared very pretty during those times. But honestly, when I was there that time and at that moment in person, the monument was even more prettier and grandiose to look at. I just can't stop staring at it craning my neck for minutes.

The traffic was very congested and it took me a hard time to cross the circular street so I waited and waited until I can get the chance to cross. It took me eight minutes to have that lucky opportunity. I sprinted across the street, like a rattled Schizophrenic,  scared that I might get an accident but gladly I made it safe at the other end.

I stopped here and there at the base of the monument following the circular ledge around the street and took pictures of the statue in every angle. I looked like a paparazzi trying to amass tons of pictures for my subject for a living. Hehehe. Albeit, my subject was very famous already. Bwahahaha.

I then climbed on the second level from the base where I circled then continued to take pictures on every corners and angles. Then I moved a level more up and another level more up doing it in circular motion until I've reached the leveled pedestal. 

At the pedestal, a cute guy had requested me to take him a several pictures instructing me to get him a picture with the gold angel perched on top of the pillar. I gladly took his camera and internally giggled within myself because I am so fond of his handsome face. He looks like Enrique Iglesias. I just wanted to pinch him on that rosy cheeks. Hehehe. 

After I took his picture he asked me if I wanted to have mine taken, so he offered to take one picture of me from my camera as a gratitude. I gave him my camera and he shot me not one but three pictures. I was so thrilled!

He then returned me my camera then we talked each other for a while. I introduced myself to him and told him where I came from in straight Spanish and he told me also about himself. 

He told me that he came from Sao Paolo, Brazil (I was stunned he talked Spanish fluently and not Portuguese to me.) and he was studying in Puebla as an architecture student. He went alone here in Mexico City just for a visit because he had never been in the city yet. He thanked me for taking him pictures and ditto. We shook each other's hands (I was trembling inside) and I bade my "Adios! and Hasta la vista!" greetings.

I then crossed the street after seeing to it that it was safe to cross, then I continued trekking the length of the main avenue until I have reached Zona Rosa. As I calculated it, I think I walked like eight kilometers from the castle until Zona Rosa. That was a workout! My feet were sore and numb.

From there I looked for a taxi to bring me to Palacio de Bellas Artes and Torre de Latino because I wanted to go up the tower's observation room and see the whole of Mexico City in 360 degrees. It was already 1600H at that time and the congested traffic of the streets of Mexico City was pretty evident from where I am.

The walk at La Reforma Avenue was a very polarizing walk because I got the chance to see and explore the streets of Mexico City on my own, mingling with the folks around and also spoke to them in good Spanish as well as making friends with the ones who approached me nicely.

I am glad I got the chance to do it on my own. I was proud of myself to have done it. It was my fourth day here already and I felt so at home here now. 

Please keep reading for the continuation of my blog when I was at Torre de Latino. Thank you for the continued patronage.

P.S.
I would like also to say hi to my best friend in Paris (you know who you are). Hi buddy! I hope you are doing good. (Please say my hi also to your cute and lovable son, although I did not meet him yet in person.) My girl friend told me that you are religiously reading my blogs here so I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for following me. (Well, pardon me for the typos and the wrong grammar. I just don't have time to proof read it right now. I was just writing what's in my mind trying not to miss all my experiences, then will just intend to go back some time when I am not busy to correct 'em.) Thanks also for keeping my friend meaningful conversations to perk her up despite of what she is experiencing now. I honestly commend her for the courage she had brought up so far. I am also bleeding inside for her and I am doing a lot of fervent prayers and novenas for her. Again, I thank you for everything. By the way, you don't need to know about what happened in one of the clubs I went in Zona Rosa because those scenes should have happened in the bedroom. Hehehe. You know what I mean. I hope you have a good day and thanks for the sincere friendship you've bestowed me. Take care my friend. Au revoir! Je t'aime (as a buddy). Mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment