Thursday, February 16, 2012

At The Blue House Called The Frida Kahlo Museum

FEBRUARY 15, 2012: After roaming around the nearby vicinity and beautiful places of Coyoacan, from the Mercado where we exited after I bought my much needed back pack we decided to go directly to the museum. We went out at Calle Londres then ambled a little down south, like six more blocks as what we have instructed at the store where we asked for directions.

The guy who gave us the direction told us that we can't miss the museum because it is the only blue house at the corner of Calle Londres and Calle de Allende. Upon hearing from him that we have to walk for six blocks I was shocked because that was very far. My mistake though, because their one block is not that big though, like maybe 50 meters. So imagine if we walked six blocks that's a whopping 300 meters, almost like a running track oval.

Oh well, it was not bad though because we were eating our sliced fruits and mixed nuts, that we bought from the Mercado, while we were ambling down south. It was funny though because I was snapping pictures at the fruits then the lady had bribed me that she will let me take the pictures as long as I will buy some of the prepared sliced fruits she had made for sale.

Well, I succumbed to the offer and Ricky was been laughing at me because he knows that the lady was just joking. So that's the story of our eating-the-sliced-fruits-while-walking towards the blue house, the Frida Kahlo's museum.

We didn't go to the museum first because we were busy taking pictures of the blue building outside the streets and the signs flashing the museum's name. We were like small kids who had found the hidden eggs on Easter Sunday. We were really funny to look at making faces at the pictures and gesturing the okay sign. Hahaha.

After that, we went in the information office and inquired about the entrance fee. We paid $50.00 for each person then I added another $60.00 (Mexican dollars) for the permit to take pictures inside the museum.

It was odd though, to look at the building hued in blue because the color looks soporific to look at. Whatever their intentions were I am really puzzled of the reason why. The building was just like the whole of the block with an immensely vast central garden, the main house, the offices inside, a small theater, and an enormous cafeteria.

At the main house were exposed some of Frida's famous works, paintings, and pictures dated from her childhood years. She has also pictures when she and Diego Rivera were a dating couple and some of their works were also magnificently displayed inside. There were also rooms for intricate potteries designed by Frida and some collections she made when she was still living at the house. All of these were well preserved in that museum.

At the center of the rectangular building was an open lush garden where we saw some of Frida's life stories told in a biographical order. And on the northeast side was the small theater was located where they showed Frida's life and works. There were also more exhibits being shown in that building.

Across the theater was a double storey building where we can see the cafeteria at the first floor. There were yellow chairs and silver tables lined outside the garden in front of the cafeteria. The color was odd to look at which looked unmatched with the blue hue of the whole building.

The tour lasted for one hour because I meticulously checked each individual works that Frida had made and also some of the biographies posted in the middle garden. It was very interesting and also very educational for me to browse. I never saw the movie which starred Salma Hayek as Frida Kahlo, which was also nominated in the Oscar's, but never won any prize.

After we meticulously browsed the innards of the museum we decided to call it quits and headed to the parking lot near the plaza in Coyoacan and drove to Xochimilco since it was 1405H. Ricky told me that it will be traffic during that time in going to Xochimilco. He told me that he will try his very best to get there before the place closes at 1700H.

Well, the tour at the blue house was very exciting, educational, and interesting. It was well publicized online in an overrated manner. I don't know, I probably made a very high expectations from the online comments but for me it was just okay. I was well informed by the history of the pictures through their labels on the wall but it wasn't that really appealing to me because most of the pictures or art works can be actually drawn by an elementary pupil. That's my opinion though... sorry.

But all in all, it was pretty much informative and interestingly educational. That's all I can say. Have a nice day guys. Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment