Monday, January 18, 2010

It All Worked Out

It seems that the fourth term for Batch 7, my Sunday Clinical class at Centinela Hospital Medical Center, had worked out well. I can't express the elation and happiness I had when I feel everything is in order and running smoothly. It was a fulfilling moment and feeling.

This batch had finished their term 3 from the same hospital before they went on their Winter break last December and I started their orientation to Labor and Delivery, Obstetrics, Medical-Surgical, and Nursery during their last day of the same month so that when they get back the next year they will know what to expect for each area or unit they will be assigned.

I gave them a table of their weekly assignment as well as their case study presentation to be discussed during the post-conference. It was a very organized and loaded assignment sheet to follow but it seems that it is working really well for them. I am glad I did that for them to get myself organized with what they will be doing.

When they came back this January they looked, appeared, and were very eager and willing subjects ready to go off to war and learn the arts of doing the battle. I scattered or spread them evenly and randomly to their respective units and let them immersed themselves with the staff's and the unit's routine. I was surprised they've handled it real well. And so far there's no complaint yet from the hospital staff that I heard of.

My God..... this rowdy group had really changed a lot since I received them from their previous clinical instructor from Term 2. They're more eager to learn and had never asked me about leaving home early.  Instead they still want to stay over beyond their alloted time. Their hunger and motivation to learn more appeared as if very innate in them.What a surprise really!

Last Sunday, January 10, 2010, our director-of-nursing came by to do his term clinical survey and rounds. He gave them their medication exam and informed them about his expectations for this group for the last term. He also discussed to them their Grand Case Presentation and refreshed to them some of the school's and facility's rules and regulations. I was even surprised that they all came early during that time. Usually my boss always comes in unannounced and he was very happy to see that they all came early that morning. It was a big change I have noticed on this group.

From a very lax group to a very responsible and very-eager-to-learn group was a totally huge transformation to me. I didn't know I have this effect on the students. They were all saying that I really motivated them to change and that they learned a lot from me.

I just can't believe all this comments coming out from their mouths but I really appreciated that they recognized all the efforts I had put in for them to be better and responsible students. I felt so happy and very satisfied with what I saw, feel, and observed.

Yesterday, January 17, 2010, I had another good and fulfilling experience with them. They all came early again, had tackled their post-conference case study well, and did their assignments in their respective units assigned to them. It was a very smooth day yesterday without any untoward events at all. I hope it will be like this until they finish the term in April.

At least, I have done something good again for another batch. The coup-de-grace of all my hard works and great efforts to help them to be a better and responsible students is always my fulfillment to achieve the goals of my calling to teach these students. At least I had a feeling now of having effected somebody having changed their life. And that's always my objective.

I wanted to be remembered as a very caring person who always pursue to help everybody without even expecting something in return. I wanted to always live to help those who are in need in their search and pursuit for the profession or calling they wanted to be. And I always wanted to leave a legacy that people would like to imitate and follow. I also wanted to be a good influence to some but not everyone. And I always love to do something that would make somebody feel better. And I am all through it in every respect and in every way.

I am glad that everything really worked out well for me and to all the students that I've helped before. I am always happy to see them go back to me and tell me that they passed their NCLEX exam successfully. And to me, having heard that from their mouth is music to my ears. I must be the happiest person on earth because they greatly appreciated all my hard efforts for them.

Life is too short for us and we always have to do good in our life to leave a legacy that is worth remembering for the one we loved that we will be leaving behind. And hopefully, God will always guide us on what to do and what to accomplish if we always surrender and pray to Him all of our needs.

God always works in mysterious places and time and this is always true to me all the time. I always praised Him who's always willing to assist and help me in my everyday endeavours. Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment