Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In The Eyes Of The Child

I don't know what to do right now. I am just helpless and hopeless to have my ultimate dream be realized. I don't know if I can ever carry it out successfully without your precious prayers and unselfish help, but I was hoping it will come to fruition someday.

It was been my childhood dream to help children around the world, especially the helpless ones in my beloved country, the Philippines. I've been meaning to work hard all throughout my life working for the cause in children's care and their welfare and I know there's a lot of issues to address for their sake.

But for just a simple nurse like me who always struggled to live my day to day life in order to survive life itself I know I can be an instrument to help them and to address their plight and protect their own welfare.

As I was growing up it was innate for myself to help out little children. I myself was a product of being helped by people who were concerned for the education of indigent kids.

And as I grew up and realized my dreams and ambitions to become successful I was determined and deemed to repeat the whole cycle.

So when I got out of the nursing school, had landed a very secured job, and was in a very lucky position to help out others, I decided to sponsor poor and deserving kids to go to college and helped them attain and achieve their ultimate dreams and ambitions. I can see in them myself when I was a struggling kid.

Now I want my goals to get bigger and higher and I need people to help me out, that's why I made this blog to inform people who have the tenacity to help me and guide me realize my ultimate dream to help needy children.

Children always lighten me up. My world always revolved around them. And my objectives were always geared towards their health and education. And promoting play with children helps them get stimulated mentally and physically.  For I always know that children always needs to be happy and smart.

My first goal is to educate parents that they are the first lifeline for these kids to be more active physically and mentally. That they are there to set them as a good example because children always looks up to older adults as their model. By setting them a good standard and values, children will become more respectful to others and responsible with their lives as they grow.

Children who were neglected has a poor family structure thereby they feel they were alone and left out. They even end up mentally incapacitated and has slow judgment. And these kids were the ones who were always got into trouble.

Seldom we can see children who survived alone and live a moral life if their family structure were broken. They're the ones who ended up scarred and affected by the issues and problems of their parents which they will manifest unconsciously and permanently in their behaviors, attitudes, and personalities in later life.

Children should be encouraged to be goal-oriented and responsible to have a better life and some needs extreme guidance such as those who have abnormalities and mental problems. They should be guided well and encouraged to learn and improve their actions day to day.

I've been working as a Pediatric nurse for a little less than two decades now and I know how children reacted if they come in contact with people they don't know and recognized. I am telling you, it is an aweful position.

Children always cling to their parents whenever they encounter strangers and it's really hard to earn their trust and confidence. But believe me once they know you and trusted you, they won't let you go. That's the wonders and joys of children!

Now, I am working as a volunteer in advocating for children's rights. I worked as a volunteer once a month visiting children who were been victims of abuse in their own household. It was a very challenging job and I love challenge all the time.

It is very heartwrenching to see them scarred and fearful. It is hard to get and help them pick up their shattered pieces and make it into whole again. That's why I was there to help them do it gradually so that they will go back to reality again. It is a hard and challenging job but I loved it!

I have to come to their homes or wherever they were fostered and talked to them about their past experiences and encouraged them to open up. Then from there I will make some careful assessment, planning, interventions, and evaluation about their plight and counsel them what to do next and where to seek help.

There's this story of Andy (name withheld because of confidentiality reasons) who ran away from their home because his divorced father always beat him up everytime he got drunk.

As I talked to this scrawny and handsome eleven-year-old-boy I just can't help weeping and bleeding inside my heart looking at his beautiful-and-tearful-aquamarine-colored eyes. He told me how much he hated his father because of what he did to him and how determined he is to get back to him and beat him up.

I just can see the extreme hate, pain, and hurt in his eyes and I can't blame him for that. That's why I was there to listen to him intently and gave him some good guidance with the recommendations of my adviser.

Then I have to make a very long report about my interaction with him and submit it to the child advocate court where I am affiliated at so that it will be deliberated and discussed in the court and whatever decisions they will make will be up to the court to give him back to the family or look or find  him a foster parent or a juvenile facility to take care of him temporarily.

I loved what I  do, and if given another chance, I will do it again. Advocating for children's welfare gives me a lot of peace of mind. Especially if I helped them greatly and hugely. I just can't help helping kids to have a normal life for I myself was a product of child abuse.

Whatever experiences I had when I was little I just don't want other children to experience and repeat it because I know how painful and hurtful it was to have a scarred life. And as I grew up I just can't help seeing other children getting hurt and pained because of a bad family structure.

I mean this could be prevented if parents were educated enough to take responsibility of their actions whenever they have children. But this picture or circumstance was already banal or commonplace in our society and it's hard to be curtailed or stopped. That's why there's this programs and agencies advocating for the children's welfare and care. Not just children but for other's who were victims of abuse.

Let us work hand in hand in advocating for the welfare of children. For children were our country's future, as what our Philippine National hero once said, Dr. Jose P. Rizal.

Let us always see children through their expressive eyes. Because looking at them always told us or evoked pure sincerety and honesty although there were always uncertainty in them because of their innate youthfulness and ignorance. And there's always the joy when we were around them.

And my ultimate dream someday is to help children have a productive, healthy, and meaningful life. And I hope I can achieve it someday, if God permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment