Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Funny Things 2: Random Encounters

Funny things always happen inevitably. Sometimes we did it unconsciously and all we know we did something wrong that amused us, made us smile, or even made us burst into laughter. These things sometimes perk up our day and free us from the worries of this mundane world.

Like me I have a lot of unexpected encounters that made it categorically funny and I want to share some of it to you here on my blog. These ones happened randomly as I struggled to live day to day, whether I go on a walk at the park, went shopping, driving on my way to work, doing some errands, and talking on the phone.

These funny things or sometimes hilarious moments will succumb you to various unforgettable manifestations including a little bit of embarrassment, minor offenses, memory lapses, and grave mistakes.

Along with these wacky encounters I always learned a lot from it. It is sometimes a slight mistake but the lesson learned is enormous. It sometimes greatly shaped our life and improved who we are.

Fist one, I was literally walking one early morning on McArthur's Park walking track in Koreatown near Wilshire Boulevard when I was doing my daily running exercise. Geared with a proper attire for running I was briskly walking for about 20 minutes when two elderly Mexican men jogging towards me, were calling at me saying "Andale! Andale!" . In order not to block their way I stepped on the side grass briefly out of the track to let them pass. And then I suddenly felt something soft where I stepped on. When I bowed my head and bend my hips to check what it was I suddenly smelled something bad. I realized that I just stepped on a dog's poop on the grass I stepped on. I then briskly wiped my shoes' sole on the grass, and noticed that I have two different shoes on. On my left was a blue Puma running shoe and on my right was a navy blue Nike running shoe. In my haste to leave my apartment I probably did not noticed that I put on two different shoes. I was laughing at what just I did and because of my embarrassment I stopped doing my cardio routine and headed home immediately. Lesson learned: Always double check your attire or things before leaving the house.

Second one, I was shopping at Abercrombie and Fitch at The Grove one afternoon with my bestfriend to buy a shirt asked for me by a family friend from the Philippines for her son. It was almost 5 pm on a Saturday and almost closing time. There was a Gavin Rossdale concert at the mall's central park and there were lots of people around. In short, the mall was packed because of the concert.

When we got to the store we immediately went to the second floor and looked for the shirt I was asked to buy. I selected the appropriate shirt, grab it, brought it to the nearest counter to pay for it, when suddenly I noticed the new Colden cologne on the table and tested it. I liked the smell so I grabbed one box and paid it together with the shirt. The cute African-American guy on the counter smiled at me and volunteered to help and assist me at the counter.  He folded the shirt, packed the items, and dunked everything in the small Abercrombie paper bag with a handsome shirtless model printed on both sides. It was a very nice bag..... My friend took the bag and I smiled and thanked the cute guy then me and my friend left the store.

We then walked to the other side of the mall passed the concert park trying to evade the throng of people circling around the stage. We were at the Apple store when my friend asked me to hold the bag because he is going to use the restroom. I realized that the bag was so light so I decided to check if all the items were inside. I found out that it was only the shirt inside and the cologne was not there. When my friend came back I told him what I found out. So we ran as fast as we could to the other side of the mall trying to squeeze ourselves out of the packed concert to go to the other side where the Abercrombie and Fitch store is. When we got there the store's door was about to close and we told the security guard at the door about our little dilemma. He let us in and told us to go to the second floor and to talk to the cashier. We were panting and huffing when we got there and good thing the cute African-American guy was still there. So we told him what we found out and he apologized about what had happened and carefully handed us the box of cologne. He also gave us some coupons to redeem for our next trip at the store maybe to cover for his slight mistake.  My..... that was an intense workout for us to run across the other side of the mall. When we got out of the store me and my friend was laughing hilariously at what we had just experienced. Lesson learned: Always check your items before leaving the counter.

Third one, I was driving to work one afternoon on a rush hour. I was on a red light on a downtown street and was literally on a stop when I saw a cute jogger with his leashed dog running along with him. I was literally checking out the people walking on the sidewalk but my eyes focused on this very handsome Caucasian jogger in a black preppy-baggyish running shorts and white tank top hugging his well toned body outlining his six-packs abs. In tow with him was a cute brown mixed lassie. He was running so fast when suddenly the dog stopped on the sidewalk and tried to sit. Then suddenly the dog started to poop. I was smiling in my car looking at the embarrassed cute owner figuring out what to do because he probably did not expect what had happened. He looked so helpless maybe because he forgot to bring a plastic bag to collect the droppings as well as embarrassed because a lot of people including me were watching at him and his nice dog. Well, at least the guy is super cute and handsome....... but I was so amused at his reactions. He probably don't know what to do at that time, or may be some passersby gave him a plastic bag to pick-up the dog's poop. I didn't know what happened next because the traffic light already turned green and I have to drive ahead. Lesson learned: Don't bring your pet when you're out running or don't feed your pet either when  you're out to do something. You don't know what to expect..... tsk. tsk.

Fourth one, I was out doing some errands on one of my day's off. I have a lot of  to-do-things and appointments to be accomplished that day. I have to go to a doctor's appointment that morning, go to the lab to have my blood drawn for my routine annual check-up, pick-up my pay-check at work, go to school to pick-up my paperworks for my clinical rotation that weekend, go to the grocery to buy some groceries and fresh fruits, go to the bank and deposit the check as well as withdraw some money for my niece in the Philippines, go to PNB to remit that money for my niece, and a lot of things that really made me busy that day. Literally, I was all over the place, here and there, driving all around the town like crazy.

The last thing I did was to pass by the bank to deposit the check and withdraw some money. When I opened my wallet I noticed that my driver's license was not inside. I didn't realize I did not have my driver's license with me. I then remembered that I left it at my pant's back pocket when I went to the bar the previous night for a happy hour and a drink because I don't want to bring my bulky wallet at the bar and risked the danger of getting picked-pocket. I did not even returned it back in my wallet when I got home maybe because I was already drunk or maybe I was just plainly procrastinating. Then when I woke up the next day busily thinking of doing these tons of errands for that day it passed on my mind and I forgot about it already. Good thing nothing had happened that day and I wasn't stopped and mugged by the fierce LA cops and harshly interrogated me for the offense. Lesson learned: Always double check you have your driver's license when you are driving.

Fifth one, I just got home from a graveyard shift and was super tired. I already finished eating a bowl of cereals and had took a warm shower, donned my pajamas, and was about to go to sleep when suddenly my phone rang  like crazy. I grabbed the loud phone and answered it. Well.... it was my classmate from Houston just trying to call me and check out on me. We chit-chatted for a while and I told her that I am about to hit the sack. I told her that everything was fine for me and we shared a lot of great news. Because I was so tired and sleepy at that time, while talking to her laying on my soft bed, I didn't realized I already dozed off and left the phone hanging. I didn't even remembered what we were talking after I dozed off. It occured to me that I probably went to sleep while my friend was yacking like a mad talker on the other line. I didn't even remember if I bade her a goodbye. I was so guilty with what had happened.

That night I phoned my friend back and told her what had happened. She told me that she was engrossed in talking with me when she suddenly heard me snoring on the other line. We were both laughing at what I did and I apologetically told her that I am sorry about it. She told me that she understood, maybe because I was probably too tired from the previous night's work but it was so funny to her though that I dozed off at her while talking to her on the phone. Lesson learned: When you are about to go to sleep no matter how tired you are don't answer that damn phone, let the answering machine take the call, then make the necessary call later. You don't know what you will do in between the conversation.

Well, these were just some of the snippets of my various wacky moments in my life. Some of them were not that interesting and some were awesomely inspiring. So I hope you've enjoyed what I posted here. In the end, I've learned a lot of lessons from them and made me more aware of this busy world we lived in.

Until then and see you on my next five funny, hilarious, and awkward moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment