Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cebu City Getaways

July 7th, a Tuesday, me and my little sister left Passi for a little getaway to Cebu City. I promised my little sis that I will treat her for a little trip out of our own dismal and busy town and at the same time visiting an old college friend.

We left Passi early at 4 am and catch a bus but instead we took a jeepney because buses passed by late. We arrived at the city at 5:30 am and we immediately hopped in one of the taxicab to dropped us at the airport in Santa Barbara.

We arrived at Iloilo International Airport one hour early for our early morning flight. After passing through the rigorous inspection at the airport we took a quick breakfast at one of the cafe inside the airport and checked-in after that.

We boarded the plane at 7:30 am and then we taxied the runway and left for Cebu. The flight was less than an hour and it was a smooth one. We arrived at Mactan International Airport not knowing where to go so we decided to hire a taxicab for 2000 pesos for an eight hour tour. It was a cheap offer so I advised the dutiful taxi driver to just show us around the best of Cebu City, cautiously telling him that one of my goal for this trip is to see a lighthouse to add for my lighthouse pics collection on Facebook.

First stop is Lapu-lapu Shrine Park. The driver drove us to the park and waited for us while we checked-out the park. We took several pictures and browsed the kiosk selling memorabilias and mementos. The park was well maintained and clean.

After that we left and passed by Mandaue City and crossed the Mactan Bridge toward the city proper. But before that we looked for an internet cafe for me to locate the address of the nearby lighthouse for us to visit. I printed the site and handed it to the driver which he immediately complied to locate.

We had a hard time locating the lighthouse site but after several inquiries and about forty-five minutes of driving around we found the lighthouse in Brgy. Catarman, Liloan, Cebu which is not far from the city. The robust structure stood valiantly at the tip of the bay in Bagacay Point illuminating the passing ships and boats at night. It was a tall abandoned structure but still operational. I felt so compelled to take a lot of pictures of it and my excitement to watch it's powerful aura could not be traced and fathomed. I was so exceedingly delighted to see it and excited to show it to my little sis who amazingly agreed that it was a pretty sight to ponder and look at. I was so fulfilled that time that I couldn't explain my sheer delight and happiness.

Although the day was so hot and humid, I did not mind it as long as I can take a lot of pictures of the lighthouse and capture it beautifully in my camera and stored it in the memory card. We tour around the place and peruse the building and it's surrounding structures.

After filling our eyes with the beauty of the edifice we set out for another destination. Our driver took an alternate route to the heart of Liloan and there we saw another lighthouse replica at the entrance of the town. He parked the cab at the curb for a few minutes while I was taking several pictures of the faux lighthouse. Then we left and drove towards the city.

I instructed the driver to bring us at Magellan's cross where we have to re-route ourselves because of the congested traffic in going to the downtown proper where the cross is at. It took us less than an hour to get there and he dropped us for a little bit while we went to see the small building which looks like a concrete gazebo.

We were greeted with the dancing ladies who were willing to pray for somebody's faithful intentions to see and watch the cross. The cross is a black wooden scrawny stick standing in the middle of the gazebo. The ceiling was been painted with historical pictures depicting the Spaniards landing in Cebu City headed by Ferdinand Magellan in the 1500's. We took several pictures of the building and the surrounding structures including the city hall on the east side. Then we left for another destination.

Next stop was Fort San Pedro. Our driver dutifully took another route and dropped us off of the fort where the Spaniards built to protect them from the local's assault during the Spanish regime. The Fort appears like a replica of the one in Manila. After paying the necessary entrance fee, we peruse the whole are teeming with different plants, herbs, and floras. It seems like the fort was been transformed into a botanical garden. Again, we took several pictures with the help of the charming guards who patrol around the area. But alas, I was so worried because my camera is flashing battery sign which will be depleted soon.

We were so tired now so I instructed the driver to find us a hotel near the mall so that it would be easy for us to go shopping after we rested at the hotel. But before that, we went to eat lunch at a nearby restaurant and eat seafoods and fish then we went to look for a decent hotel. The driver dropped us at Regent Hotel and after we verified for an available room we paid him for his excellent service in showing us around the city although we didn't really saw everything around.

We then retire for a while at the hotel and then went to Cebu City Ayala Mall and shopped for our clothes that night and the next next for we only travel light. We also bought some clothes and shoes for my mom. We roam around the mall and enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the oncoming shoppers and passersby. The mall looks modern-contemporary and very chic. When we got tired shopping we took a snack and rest at TGI Fridays at the other end of the mall and waited for Mishna in front of Starbuck's Cafe.

Mishna arrived after two hours then we had a long talk. Mishna still looks pretty and slender and as if she did not aged. We decided to eat out so she told me that we need to get a taxicab and transfer to The Walk Restaurant. There we continued our conversation while enjoying eating seafoods and local foods. The night grew deeper so we decided to part ways promising to see each other again the next morning.

We immediately took a cab and had us dropped off at the hotel. My sister and I were so tired and exhausted of the whole day's activities so we went to retire to bed early.

The next day, we woke up at 5 am and talked about our little getaway. I was glad my little sis was satisfied and happy about it and at the same time see and talk to my former college buddy. We then readied ourselves and went down for the continental breakfast that the hotel was offering to its customers.

After the breakfast we waited for Mishna at the lobby and checked-out. We bade our goodbyes to her and she was grateful and appreciative that I came to see her despite of my hectic and busy schedule.

We then texted our driver who showed us around the city yesterday and he came to pick us up. He showed us around for the last time again a little bit around downtown area and helped us look for some "pasalubong" for our folks we left at Passi. Then he dropped us off at the airport.

Our trip was fun and memorable. At least we have a little glimpse of Cebu City and its surrounding areas. The notorious queen city of the south where all the people were noted to be carefree and nice. And welcoming and warm to visiting tourists like us. I wont hesitate to come back here again and spend another day in a warm, humid, and cozy weather of the rainy days. The city boast a lot of places to see and peruse and is full of promising things to bring home.

Aaah... I wish I could come back and spend more time to peruse the area and see more lighthouses which I go cucko of. I might see the nice people around again and the welcoming and polite cab drivers that greeted us at the airport. The delicacies were so tempting which I wont hesitate to try. I was so jaded and mesmerized about the place and was bound to come back here again or worst buy a property and live here.

Cebu City ..... home of the most charming Cebuanos and the second biggest city of the country. I love this trip and I can't imagine not coming back here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment